Having two kids in school and daycare comes with its problems… They get sick often. Some more than others, and my kids are fortunate to be on the “less” side. They don’t get sick often, but when they do, I’m cautious as to what I treat the cold with. I never give them pharmacy bought drugs of any kind, and usually just let the cold pass on its own. But, when they need a little help I go for homemade remedies.
This is our go-to remedy in Dominican Republic. As soon as any of my kids gets sick, my mom is telling to go run to the supermarket and stock up on these ingredients. So what’s in it?…
I reused a tomato sauce 25oz jar
- 12oz of raw honey (I used raw honey from DR, but I usually use this one)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 5 small radishes (chopped)
- The juice of 5-6 lemons or limes
I then proceed to cover the jar, and I leave the remedy out in the counter for about 2 days. This allows the onion and radish to release their “juices” and it also starts a fermentation sort of process that helps the beneficial properties to be enhanced. Kind of like when you soak grains.
Why it works??
Raw honey, onions, radishes and lemons/limes all have properties that are beneficial for the immune system and excellent for combating a cold.
- Raw honey has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties that help fight the virus. It also helps with sore throats.
- Onions have been use for years for many maladies. Onions are high in sulfur, which is a powerful detoxifier of the body. Another property called quercetin has been known to fight asthma and bronquitis. They are antiviral, anti-inflammatory and antibiotic.
- Radishes are high in vitamin C and are great to improve the immune system. They’re known for relieving congestion, and preventing respiratory problems such as asthma or bronchitis. They have antibacterial, antifungal, and detoxifying properties as well.
- And at last, lemons and limes. Do I need to add much about them? They are notorious when it comes to natural ingredients for cold remedies. They are loaded with vitamin C and plenty of other properties that help combat a cold. Lemons alkalize the blood and help detoxification.
Leaving it out for a day or two will help all of these benefits to be enhanced.
Of course, since its completely natural, you can take as much as you’d like.